The keyboard will provide three input states: Normal, Shift, and Long Press. And it will adhere to three principles:
- Khmer characters will be divided into 3 groups based on frequency of use:
- 1) set of frequently used characters will be assigned to the normal state.
- 2) less frequently used characters will be assigned to the Shift state of the layout.
- 3) characters rarely used in conversation, will be assigned to the Long Press state.
- It will not be a phonetic layout derived from QWERTY or AZERTY layouts.
- It will not include combined vowels and characters which are never used in conversation.